Our History

The Historical Committee developed this slideshow with photos & videos from the beginning in 1874 to 2016.

1852
Pastor J.M. Kugel, a circuit rider, conducts worship services in the community.


1860’s
Pastor J.B. Lieb, member of Texas Synod, serves once a year.


1869
Pastor F. Ernst serves 40 souls near Windscott Creek on the Henry Lisso farm in a small frame building used as a church.


1871
The first Immanuel Lutheran Congregation forms;
Constitution is adopted on April 10;
Congregational listing: 27 heads of households.


1872
Due to disagreements, the congregation disbands;
About one-half of this group later starts the Evangelical Church at Dessau;
Remainder form Immanuel Congregation and the Church at Richland.


1874
In April, Texas Synod sends Pastor F. Jesse, and on May 31, a Constitution is proposed and adopted by 11 members.


1875
Pastor William Pfennig installed;
First church building is dedicated on June 20; it is erected on 5 acres of land donated by William Bohls;
Immanuel joins the Texas Synod;
Congregation has a Parochial School taught by the pastor;
The village of Pflugerville was then located at the present intersection of Immanuel Road (Dessau Road) and Pflugerville East Road.


1879
Pastor M. Oehler installed.


1881
Pastor Oehler dies October 24 and is buried in the church cemetery.


1882
Pastor Theo Uhdau installed.


1884
Pastor H. Daude installed.


1887
Pastor H. Lettermann installed;
Texas Synod meets here;
Ladies Aid organized February 12 for the purpose of caring for the cemetery;
A parochial school is established;
New pews added;
The past decade had been a difficult one for the congregation.


1889
William Pfluger donates four additional acres for church purposes.


1894
Ladies Aid dissolved.


1897
Pastor A. Hartmann installed;
Two additional rooms were added to the parsonage.


1898
Pastor William Pfennig is supply pastor.


1899
Pastor William Flachmeier installed.

ILC-pic

1900s
First choir organized with 40 members.


1904
The village of Pflugerville moves to be near the new railroad.


1908
Pastor G. Stricker installed.


1909
It is resolved to build a new church;
Pastor Stricker begins to also serve Dessau Lutheran Church, as do all of Immanuel’s Pastors who succeed him.


1910
Red brick church dedicated January 23, cost: $10,300.


1911
First telephone installed.


1912
Sewing Circle organized.


1913
Luther League organized Sept. 14 with 34 members;
Texas Synodical Convention here for second time, April 9-14.


1914
Pastor G. Stricker dies and is buried in church cemetery;
Pastor Henry Schliesser installed;
New parsonage built, cost:$3000


1915
Tabea Verein (Ladies Aid) organized February 18.


1916
Luther League Auditorium built (the first Lutheran Parish hall in Texas);
Host to Texas District Luther League Convention;
Two acres of land bought from Emil H. Bohls for enlargement of cemetery;
Pastor Schliesser first resident Pastor to have an automobile.


1917
A change is made in the dues class system for financial giving from 2 to 3 classes:  $6, $12, and $18 a year.


1919
Host to Texas District Luther League Convention.


1920
16 Sunday School teachers organize and join the Texas Sunday School Teachers Association;
Finance classes raised to $10, $20, and $30 per year.


1924
Pastor M.J. Schwarz installed;
Congregation hosts State Sunday School Teachers Convention;
Due to change in pastors, the 50th Anniversary is celebrated on November 2.

1928
Red brick church is destroyed by fire March 16;
Services are held in Luther League Auditorium.


1929
A $43,000 brick church with pipe organ is dedicated on March 3, more than 1000 people attend dedication.


1930
Affiliated with American Lutheran Church.


1934
Pastor E. B. Knaak installed.


1935
Host to Texas District of American Lutheran Church.


1936
Women’s Missionary Society organized May 27.


1940s
During this decade the transition from German to the English language is made;
The American Lutheran Hymnal is first used;
The women of the congregation become voting members.


1941
Brotherhood organizes February 10.


1943
The old school building is sold at an auction for $90.


1944
70th Anniversary observed;
Cemetery stone fence is erected.


1946
Change from Common Chalice to individual Communion cups.


1947
Driveway paved.


1948
629-foot well dug and equipped with electric pump;
Finance classes raised to $12.50, $25, and $37.50 per year.


1949
Pastor W. A. Mueller installed and leaves a few months later.
Back of church basement excavated for kitchen facilities;
75th anniversary celebrated May 29 with three worship services;
Pastor Kurt Hartmann installed;
Church bulletins introduced.

1950
Water piped to cemetery.


1951
The Duplex envelope system replaces the class system of giving;
Junior Mission Band organizes in September (later changed to “Junior Lutherans”).


1952
Installation of church’s kerosene heating system.


1954
Constitution revised and congregation incorporates;
80th Anniversary Celebration on May 23 and May 30.


1957
Memorial contributions for Education/Building Fund begun;
Water storage tank installed;
“Service Book and Hymnal” introduced;
Pastor Wilson Hill installed;
“Church Chat” newsletter started;
Pairs and Spares organized.


1958
Retired debt of present church;
Public address system installed;
Vernagene Mott hired as Assistant Organist.


1959
85th Anniversary Thankoffering for renovating the church was $3,699.


1960
Texas District becomes the Southern District of The American Lutheran Church;
Tabea Verein (Ladies Aid) and the Women’s Missionary Society dissolve to become part of the new ALCW (American Lutheran
Church Women).


1961
Constitution revised and adopted.


1962
The Pflugerville High School team receives recognition for having won 55 consecutive games.


1963
$100,000 building program started;
Groundbreaking services for parsonage and education building on November 24;
Pastor Wilson Hill leaves to go to San Antonio.


1964
Pastor Donald Luckemeyer installed;
“Immanuel Image” becomes new name for the monthly church newsletter;
90th Anniversary observed November 29 with dedication services for the new parsonage and education building.


1970
Installation of air-conditioning in the church;
Education-Parsonage building notes burned Jan. 18;
Close- circuit T.V. installed in Education Bldg.


1971
Tennis court erected.


1973
Pastor Luckemeyer leaves to go to Karnes City;
Pastor A.H. Muehlbrad, retired pastor and member of the congregation, is named supply pastor;
$12,216 is spent for renovation of church and education building;
Constitution changed to permit earlier communion of youth;
Pastor D. Lee Muehlbrad installed August 26;
Butane gas system converted to natural gas;
Preparation for centennial celebration includes renovation and painting of the Church Sanctuary, Basement and Educational Building.


1974
Many anniversary gifts are given including: the Chapel (with altar, carpeting and chairs),
individual chalice communion set, new office equipment, carpeting, pew cushions, tables, chairs, chain link fence, flag pole, Sanctuary lamp, and many other items;
Reorganized and established new congregational standing committees;
Cemetery Endowment fund now large enough so that expenses no longer need to be subsidized by congregation;
Water System connects with Manville Water District;
Congregation Centennial Pictorial Directory published;
Congregation receives estate of Mr. and Mrs. Fritz Schoen;
Centennial Celebration on May 26:  morning/afternoon services and dedication of historical marker;
Pastor takes youth to Confirmation Camp on annual basis.


1975
Elder program begun, whereby Elders assist the pastors in worship service;
Disposition of Schoen real estate;
Congregation participates in United Mission Appeal;
Congregation’s largest Confirmation Class confirmed – 37.

1976
Supplement to 1974 Pictorial Directory made;
Congregation celebrates National Bicentennial year on July 24 with “Old Timer” Worship Service;
New brick maintenance building completed;
Worship and Music Committee formed;
J.C. and Company Youth Choir officially begun;
Education Building and Parsonage roofs replaced;
Pastor Wilson Hill hired as Visitation Pastor.


1977
Congregation now entitled to send two lay delegates to the District convention;
Receive deed of home of Regina Arend;
Begin having two morning Worship Services on Communion Sunday.


1978
Purchased and began using the “Lutheran Book of Worship”;
Worship Ushering System established (sole responsibility of council in the past);
Assist in establishing mission congregation in Round Rock;
Restore the original reed organ (1872?);
Major repair on pipe organ;
Build new & repair old streets on church property;
Congregation participates in the Challenge of the Generations Financial Campaign;
Sacristy remodeled with new cabinets and running water;
Pre-Theological fund established.


1979
Donation of two lots of land at lake Travis by Mrs. Elsie Doerpinghaus;
Architectural Committee formed;
“Think Tank” Committee formed to explore needs of additional pastoral help and recommends a 2nd pastor;
Brotherhood District Convention held here.


1980
Pastor Stephen M. Schur called as second pastorPastor D. Lee Muehlbrad issued new Call as Senior Pastor;
Master Plan Steering Committee replaces Architectural Committee;
Vietnamese refugee Phen Tran family sponsored;
Pastor D. Lee Muehlbrad honored at 25th Anniversary of Ordination;
Pastor Schur installed August 17;
Pictorial Directory published;
Bell Choir formed after gift of bells;
Pastor Hill retires from being Visitation Pastor.


1981
Decide to build multi-purpose building and renovate Education Building after $100,000 is raised;
Stone cross on church tower destroyed by storm Carillon System installed;
40th Anniversary of Brotherhood celebrated;
Begin two services every Sunday.


1982
Land site for new building done by volunteer work;
Immanuel’s “Noah’s Ark” float wins first place in several parades;
60th Anniversary Ordination of Pastor A.H. Muehlbrad.


1983
Volunteer workers complete new building;
Multi-purpose building dedicated October 23 – Parish Hall;
Closed-circuit television in Chapel is in color;
Congregation computer purchased;
Two members in seminary.


1984
Pastor Wilson Hill honored at 50th Anniversary of Ordination;
Mr. and Mrs. Emil Bohls give 3 acres adjoining the North and South side of church property;
3 lay delegates go to Southern District Convention;
Long Range Committee studies Day Care Center
Pastor Casey Zesch installed.


1985
First Christmas Luminary;
American Lutheran Church, Lutheran Church in America and American Evangelical Church merges to become Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA);
ALCW becomes WELCA (Women of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America);
Day School Program started.


1988
Pastor Ray Kraemer installed.


1989
Tired and Retired Group started.


1990
Restoration of Sanctuary and Basement;
Men’s Breakfast group started;
Constitution revised.


1991
Elevator installed;
SEARCH began;
Ordination of Lucinda Rueter Zesch


1993
Pastor Don Just serves as Interim Pastor;
Pastor Wilson Hill dies and is buried in church cemetery.


1994
Pastor Scott Postlewait installed;
New Nursery completed.


1995
Children’s Choir started.


1997
Pastor Tom Kesselring ordained and installed.


1998
Restoration/Upgrade of pipe organ at cost of $97,000;
Organ dedication;
125th Anniversary celebration begins with Veteran’s Day observance.


1999
125th Anniversary of Immanuel celebrated on May 30.

2000
Pastor Ray Kraemer says “good-bye”;
Pastor Warren Rinehart called as Interim Pastor;
New building committee begins work on plans for gymnasium, classrooms and renovations to existing education building;
May 20 – Storm broke stained glass window in Chancel area of sanctuary;
Stained glass window repair and restoration project begins.


2001
Pastor Keith Born installed as Senior Pastor;
Kara Clark hired as Youth Director;
Construction of gymnasium, classrooms and renovations is approved.


2002
Constitution revised;
Gymnasium and classrooms completed;
Day school moves into new building;
New sound system installed in sanctuary;
Ordination of Matthew Kuempel.


2003
Dedication of gymnasium and classrooms;
Renovations began and were completed on existing Educational Building;
Ordination of Sid Bohls;
Food Pantry started;
Enhanced worship schedule started with contemporary middle service and free-standing Sunday School hour;
Contemporary band “Sotaria” was formed;
First polka worship service in conjunction with Oktoberfest celebration.


2004
Celebrated 130th Anniversary;
“Save our Sanctuary” project to repair roof and seal brick on Sanctuary was started and completed;
Completed Stain Glass window project with protective glass;
Cedar branches with white lights replaced the milk jugs used to line the driveway for the Christmas Luminary.


2005
Pastor D. Lee Muehlbrad died;
Gretchen Rye named Day School Director;
Day School celebrated 20th Anniversary;
Initiated communion at every service every Sunday;
Construction of Prayer Garden started;
20th Anniversary of the Christmas Luminary;
Youth Ministry Internship Program began.


2006
Kristi Piskorz hired as Director of Educational Ministries;
Dedication of Church Park and Prayer Garden;
New Ramp and entrance to Sanctuary built in the South West corner of the Sanctuary.


2007
Food Pantry relocated and opened January 3rd in the “Yellow Brick” House;
New Street Side Sign built;
“New” Evangelical Lutheran Worship Hymnals Purchased;
New piano purchased for Sanctuary Choir Loft;
Pastor Kesselring 10th year of service Anniversary.


2008
Adult Leadership Policy Passed and Initiated;
Kathy Smith hired as Director of Day School Ministry;
Kara Clark begins AIM Program at Luther Seminary;
Renovation of Sanctuary Entrance Begun.


2009
Renovation of Sanctuary Entrance completed;
Renovation of Outside Basketball court to include Lights and New Basketball Standards;
Pastor Born’s 15th Anniversary of Ordination.


2010
Parking Lot Renovation;
Parish Hall Classroom Renovation including flooring, carpet, and paint;
Parish Hall Restroom renovation project started.


2012
Pastor Keith Born resigns in Jan;
Pastor Tom Kesselring installed as Senior Pastor.


2013
Pastor Rosy Rivera ordained July 28 and installed as Associate Pastor Aug 4;
Susan Cox hired as Director of Educational Ministries;
New logo unveiled in conjunction with mission statement “Gather, Grow & Serve”.
Luminary is cancelled due to severe weather for the 1st time in 26 years.


2014
Pilot “Backpack Ministry” program with Pflugerville ISD;
Celebrated 140th Anniversary;
Katie Wegner, Youth Director, began seminary at Luther Seminary;
Beverly Woolf honored for 25 years of service.


2017
Pastor Rosy Rivera resigns in May to accept a call at First Lutheran Church in Lorain, Ohio.