Lenten Devotional 2016- “Bearing Fruit”
Lent 6- February 16, 2016
Colossians 1: 13-14
13He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- Being rescued- “delivering us from evil”
- Darkness has no power over Light. Light destroys darkness. Before we come to Jesus, we are living in darkness. Paul was very familiar with this, because it was the Light of Jesus that stopped him in his tracks and turned him around. This power of darkness is the dominion of Satan. Satan cannot survive when the Light of the world is applied. Darkness is, and always has been, opposed to the Light.
- Transferred into the Kingdom
- It was the precious shed blood of Jesus that abolished our sins. The blood of an animal in the sacrifices in the Old Testament, could not do away with sin, or clear the conscience of the sinner. The blood of an animal covered the sin. The precious blood of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, abolished sin for those who will believe.
- “The forgiveness of sins”: The Greek word is a composite of two words that mean “to pardon” or “grant remission of a penalty.”